Sunday, June 11, 2006

Orioles in da 'hood


I promised more pictures, and I'm finally able to deliver. These hooded orioles are determined not to be photographed, especially the male. My routine for the past week or so has been as follows. I sit at my breakfast nook overlooking the patio, typing away at my computer and watching the hummingbird feeder. The camera is a few feet away on a tripod, aimed directly at the feeder. At the first glimpse of an oriole, I leap up, dash to the camera, and watch as the oriole flies away.

On a couple of occasions I've been able to sneak to the camera without alerting the female to my presence. I didn't realize until I looked at these pictures that she has a bit of a crossed beak. Poor thing looks a little frazzled, too. I wonder if she's sitting on a nest or feeding babies. I wonder if I'll see juveniles at my feeder. Anyway, note that in this picture the female is demonstrating how an oriole drinks from a feeder that's not designed for an oriole. I was surprised that their beaks would fit into those tiny holes, but maybe it's just their tongue that has to get in there.

I've only been able to get one picture of the male at the feeder. As you can see in the image at the top of this post, the oriole feeder is backlit and difficult to photograph. If he'll keep coming to the hummingbird feeder, though, I'll keep the camera on the tripod in an effort to get a better picture.

2 Comments:

At 6/11/2006 8:07 PM, Blogger Bay in TN said...

FINALLY!!!!!! I have been waiting for more oriole pics for *ages*. Thank you for delivering! I know how hard you've been working to get these. You own the bombness!

 
At 8/09/2006 9:30 AM, Blogger Gwyn Calvetti said...

Hey, that's not bad. Bird photography is WAY hard, as you've learned.

Fun visitors for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home