Sunday, March 12, 2006

Tired of the hummingbirds yet?

Well, I'm not.

Here are some of the latest pictures. First of all, there's a new picture of a couple of birds at the feeder. The picture was taken Friday night. The newcomer is fluffed up, either because she's trying to look like a big, bad, mean hummingbird or because it's stinkin' cold in Las Vegas. I'm pretty sure both birds are female black-chinned hummingbirds.

I'm starting to think this may be the last time I see two birds on the feeder at the same time, though. One of the girls has decided that this feeder is hers and hers alone. She's staked out a spot on a bush near the patio and is dedicated to running off any intruders with the audacity to think they might get a sip of nectar from the feeder. As far as I can tell, she doesn't have a mate, so maybe she's just grumpy. The problem for me, though, is that I'd like to see a variety of hummingbirds in the yard. I've put up another feeder in the side yard and I'm thinking about adding another one in the other side yard. She can't guard them all at the same time.

Today's high is supposed to get all the way up to 53, but by Thursday the highs should be back to normal, close to 70. I can't wait.

Besides the hummingbirds, the only other big news is that I won a t-shirt by answering a trivia question at The Strip podcast. Anyone who's interested in the behind the scenes workings of the Las Vegas entertainment industry would appreciate this podcast. It hit the news recently when Steve Wynn made some comments about the performance of several Broadway shows that have made their way to Las Vegas. Taken out of context, it sounded like Wynn was trashing the competition, but listening to the whole interview, I think he was just making a reasonable evaluation of the business.

2 Comments:

At 3/12/2006 8:39 PM, Blogger Bay in TN said...

I've got that song running through my head now -- you know, the one that goes, "She's a bad ... mamma jamma"??? ROFL!! That is one big mean hummingbird! I'm happy to hear you put up more feeders; I hope that means you get lots of hummingbirds despite that one girl's determination to stake out the feeder on your patio!!!

And again -- I'm very jealous that your hummingbirds eat two at a time, and that they sit still for portraits!

 
At 3/13/2006 4:50 AM, Blogger Gwyn Calvetti said...

It's pretty entertaining to watch these guys defend their nectar, though. Even funnier to see them out in the field, protecting "their" patch of jewelweed. Beautiful but very feisty little birds!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home