Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Two at a time


Now, here's an unusual occurrence. Two hummingbirds within inches of each other, and there's no battle. Sorry about the devilish eyes -- I had to use a flash because the light was fading fast. To be honest, I kind of hoped the flash would help illuminate some color on the birds besides green.

Are those two females? I know the one on the right is a female black-chinned hummingbird, but who's that on the left? A biologist looked at the pictures from my last post and her opinion was that the one with dark feathers under her chin is probably an Anna's female. So does tonight's picture show two females, one Anna's and one black-chinned?

The weather has been a bit cool the last few days, and this weekend is supposed to be especially cold, with highs around 50. The norm for this time of year is about 70. I'm afraid I jinxed all of Las Vegas by mentioning Spring in my last post. Oops. Sorry about that, y'all.

3 Comments:

At 3/09/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Bay in TN said...

All the hummingbird pictures are amazing, Amy, but I'm *really* jealous of this one!!!! Two hummingbirds at one feeder -- *already*???? I *never* saw such a thing at my hummingbird feeder until last year -- almost ten years after I put it there -- and I *never* got a picture of two hummingbirds at once. I am so jealous of you and your exotic little birds!

 
At 3/09/2006 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those little girls are beauties and you did a fantastic job with the picture, flash and all. I would imagine that just seeing those beautiful tiny bodies, so close to your home, would make you smile repeatedly. Thank you for sharing them :)

Cori in WA

 
At 3/10/2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful birdies. Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them!

Thanks for sharing all the other photos too. I'm so glad that you're getting some cool hummingbird visitors and hope they keep dropping in at your feeder during the migration!

*abrupt subject change*
I just wanted to tell you that it was great to meet you when I was in Las Vegas last month!

Kathi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home