Sunday, April 09, 2006

We interrupt your regularly-scheduled hummingbirds

To bring you this non-avian news.

My sister is brilliant.

Now, this is something I've known for quite some time, but she's not convinced. It took a writing contest to provide proof.

Miss Snark is a New York literary agent. She runs an anonymous blog. She tells it like it is. Thousands surf in to read her wisdom and learn how to be good little snarklings. She doles out advice on submitting to literary agents, cover letters, publishing, editors, and anything and everything related to the task of getting published.

Miss Snark decided last weekend to hold a little writing contest. She limited entries to 500 words and gave points for using certain words and phrases -- "Bat Segundo," "bunion," "snark," "muddle," and even "Drop everything and give me ten...books!" I pointed out the contest to my brilliant sister with the comment that I was afraid of the judge -- Miss Snark can be quite blunt...no, make that honest. I couldn't take honest criticism of my writing. I wouldn't pass the test.

Like I said, Miss Snark's blog has thousands of readers. As it turns out, 111 of those readers felt up to the challenge. My brilliant sister penned a quick entry and submitted it. Within a week, Miss Snark had reviewed all the entries -- a herculean feat -- and has just posted her selections. My brilliant sister's entry earned an honorable mention! Now, let's review.
  1. This was a competition between serious writers who read Miss Snark's blog.
  2. Miss Snark is a tough cookie with very discerning tastes.
  3. My brilliant sister's entry was written quickly; hers was one of the first submitted.
  4. Her entry was selected by Miss Snark as one of her favorites.
  5. Ergo, my sister is brilliant.
Next step: We must convince her that she needs to write a book and get published and make a bunch of money. Seems like the logical next step to me.

3 Comments:

At 4/09/2006 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Your brilliant sister should most definitely be writing professionally. I've told her. Lots of people have told her.

I guess we need to resort to arm twisting. Or more.

And congratulations to your brilliant sister on her hm!

Kathi

 
At 4/10/2006 6:29 AM, Blogger Bay in TN said...

I was going to post and say, "You're so kind," but I clicked on the webcam and the babies are poking their heads out RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! That's so much more exciting!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thank you for telling me about the contest. It was fun. It was wonderful to get an honorable mention from the fabulous Miss Snark.

I wonder if she's ever seen baby black-chinned hummingbirds?

 
At 4/11/2006 5:27 AM, Blogger Gwyn Calvetti said...

We all know she's brilliant. Kathi may be right, arm twisting is in order. Do you know anyone who could be persuaded to twist her arm? ;)

Congratulations are indeed in order!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home