Saturday, March 18, 2006

Now we sit and wait


This is torture. Today is Saturday. I'm home. There's a hummingbird nest just feet from my door, and I can't go out there and stare at it! I wouldn't want to scare her away, of course. So I stand at the patio door and wait for her to pop out for a bite to eat. Then, of course, I worry that she's away from her nest and that her eggs will get cold. I know she knows what she's doing, but I can't help but worry. Is she a first time mother?

I have to confess, too, that I'm busily thinking about how I could get a weatherproof video camera out there and attach it to the web so I can keep an eye on the happenings at the nest. So far I've resisted going to Fry's, but my resolve is weakening.

I took the above picture from about 12 feet away with my telephoto lens straining as hard as it would go. See the photo below for a comparison of the size of the nest to the size of the bush. I'm done visiting for today. I feel like a kid at Christmas, though. Come on!!!! Hurry up and hatch!!!!!!!!!!

3 Comments:

At 3/18/2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Bay in TN said...

I can't believe I signed on just to look at a picture of a hummingbird's tuckus! LOL!!!!!! She looks quite comfy, doesn't she? I hope she's nice and toasty warm, so she can incubate those eggs to fruition!

Thanks also for the illustration of the size of the nest as opposed to the size of the bush. Are you able to look at other hummingbirds now that you've got a nesting mama?

 
At 3/20/2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Gwyn Calvetti said...

This is so cool, Amy. Don't listen to that Bay person dis you about the bird butt! I think she's just jealous, like I am!

Now I have to go figure out how to get to your nest cam!

 
At 3/22/2006 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Gwyn. Don't listen to that Bay person. Even if she's your sister. It's not like she's an older sister, right?

I think the photo of the bird in the nest is wonderful. I also appreciate the photo of the bush to show the relative size of the nest. It makes the bird-in-the-nest photo all the more spectacular.

Kathi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home