Sunday, March 19, 2006

Ready for her close-up

I couldn't take it. Before my head exploded, I had to go get a camera and put my hummingbird on the tube. This evening we waited for her to take her last trip to the feeder and my husband and I zipped in with a camera on a stake. If you want to keep track of the nest with me over the coming weeks, here are the long, involved, overly-complicated steps you must take.
  • Go to http://www.usturners.com:81 -- yes, that's port 81. I can't be normal and just give a simple address like usturners.com
  • I know the site will work with Internet Explorer and that it won't work with Firefox. I'm not sure whether it works with AOL's browser. Bay, can you enlighten me?
  • You'll have to download and install the video viewing software when you go to the web site the first time. This is because I'm using a lousy video capture card that doesn't serve the images directly to the browser. Sorry about that, folks! It's a one-time deal, though.
  • The software always prompts me to change my screen resolution. I like to keep my monitor on high resolution, but the software requires 1024 x 768.
  • If you've actually gotten through all these steps, you can log in with the user name nest and the password nest. Use the button with a key on it to log in.
  • Unless I'm mistaken, you'll only be able to view live surveillance, not remote playback. The playback feature is only available from the local network, I believe.
I hope you guys will enjoy watching this as much as I will!

3 Comments:

At 3/20/2006 7:45 AM, Blogger Bay in TN said...

Aaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiii!!!!!

It works, it works!!!! Oh, yes, and it works with the AOL browser, too, Yamy.

You are such a fabulous human bean!!! I just watched a hummingbird on her nest!! Eeeee!!!!

 
At 3/20/2006 11:43 AM, Blogger Gwyn Calvetti said...

Bay is luckier than I am. :( Windows is blocking it for my "benefit," and I don't know how to tell Windows to go take a flying leap.

 
At 3/20/2006 12:17 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Gwyn, here's something to try. In your browser menu, choose Tools -> Options. Click on the Security tab at the top of the window. Click on the Trusted Sites icon, then click the "Sites..." button. Type in the URL for my web site: http://www.usturners.com

I can't guarantee that will make Windows happy, but it's worth a try!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home