Monday, March 27, 2006

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!

After that last post I went and checked on the progress of the DVD. It's still churning away.

Then I went and checked on the nest. We have a blessed event!!!!!!! These pictures don't show much except a black blob, so please try to imagine this tiny, knobby, hairy, black blob wiggling around in the bottom of a tiny nest the size of a Coke bottle cap. I'm elated! I'm sorry about the rotten pictures, but I won't be taking anymore for a little while. I must leave the nest alone so I don't scare the mother away.


The second egg should hatch on Wednesday, according to my research. The articles say the mother generally skips a day between laying her two eggs, so the second should hatch two days after the first. I can't wait to bring you pictures of these two as they mature into big, mean hummingbirds!

5 Comments:

At 3/27/2006 8:18 PM, Blogger Bay in TN said...

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the baby!!!! Should we throw it a shower, or would that make it too cold and wet???? Eeeeeee!!!!!!! I'm too excited to know what to say!!! LOL!!!

Congrats on the baby!!!

--Bay

 
At 3/27/2006 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo-hooooooo! How exciting!

A baby! Welcome to the world little one!

No showers for the bird. Just nice regurgitated mother food for awhile. Yummm. My favorite.

Kathi

 
At 3/27/2006 8:58 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Thanks for the reminders about showers. I'll turn off the sprinklers before they douse the poor little birds!

 
At 3/28/2006 5:39 AM, Blogger Gwyn Calvetti said...

What fun! And you know I'm insanely jealous!

Have you named it yet? ;)

 
At 4/26/2008 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,
Thank-you so much for all the information on Hummingbird gestation period. I have learned so much from it as,we live in Palm Springs, CA. & we too have discovered a 1 in.x 1 in.x 1 1/2 in.around-Hummingbird nest in no less, our miniture Xmas lights outside our back door that we keep up all year around. Two of the lights had twisted together & the Hummingbirds had made a nest right in the middle of the 2 twisted strings. Our mama Hummingbird is green & she also, has two eggs w/ the 1st one just hatching yesterday, Fri. 4/25/08. I had taken a video & pictures of the nest when we first discovered it & I just got up on a ladder today & took a picture of the baby. The 2nd. egg is already cracked a little, so it should hatch Sun. the 27th. This is so exciting, Can't wait to see them grow. Thanks again for all you info.& pictures. It sure answered a lot of questions. We also, have a male & female Zebra finches that keep laying eggs but they are never fertile. I read if you put artificial eggs in there they won't lay any more, but she continued laying her eggs right on top of them. Maybe, mama Hummingbird will give them some words of advice when I put them & their cage outside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home